The director of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker has revealed that Leia’s story didn’t really change following Carrie Fisher’s death.
The actress passed away in December 2016 before any filming on the third and final film in the current Star Wars trilogy could be filmed – but, as previously revealed, her character is incorporated into the film using extra footage Carrie shot for the first two movies.
The Rise of Skywalker director JJ Abrams has already said the recycled footage of Carrie would be used “in a new way” and speaking recently, he also revealed the team “got to tell the story with Leia that we would have told had Carrie lived” – yep, that’s pretty cool.
“There are scenes where she’s interacting with other characters in a way that is uncanny,” Abrams told Total Film.
“Hopefully, if it works, it will be an invisible thing and if you didn’t know, you would never know.
“But we got to tell the story with Leia that we would have told had Carrie lived. And that’s kind of incredible.”
If not much has changed, let’s just say may the force be with her…
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker has a release date of Thursday, December 19 in the UK and Friday, December 20 in the US.
Digital Spy is launching a newsletter – sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.